Elephind.com contains 228,411 items from Cambridge Tribune
, samples of which are listed below. All items
from this newspaper title are freely available and can be searched from the search box above. You may also search the entire
collection of 2,771 newspaper titles in Elephind.com
Page 8 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
OVERMAN WHEEL GO. Victor f- BICYCLESv ItLUI 1 TRICYCLES. IHighest Grade Known. Gall and examine if yon want the best v OVERMAN WHEEL CO., 182-188 Columbus Avenue, Boson. ji fj m \ CALL AT jsgM ROOP &amp; BYAM'S ■i AXD SEE THE LATEST ■ A V Spring Styles for Gentlemen's Wear. A LOW BALMORAL AND CONSRESS. _| !__ Alao the Itest Line ot J m. LADIES', MISSES' AND CHILDREN'S S 9____ FINE BOOTS mid SHOES ro be found in Cambridge, n H| Remember name ami number, ' ___P tV BYAM, 557 Main St., Cambridgeport.
Page 8 Advertisements Column 3 [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
Commonwealth of Massachusetts. MIDDLESEX, S3. At a Probate Curt holden at Cambridge lv and for laid County of Middle.ex, on tbe third day of May. In t'.e year of our Lord one thousand eight bundled and elgllty-.even. On tbe petition of WILLIAM NKWKt.L OSOOOI) of Cambridge, In Mid County, preying that li la name may be changed to that of WILLIAM PAItKM IN OSGOOD, public notice having been given, according to toe order of C-iurl, lust all I.e. a n. might appear snd .how c«u.e. If any they isd, why the Mini .hou'd not be granted, and th* case being continued to tbl. loth day of .aid May, and It ippeerlng tbst 1b« reason given therefor ll aiifll.-if.nr. and o m.latent with the public Intere.t, and being .atl.factory to the Court, and no object on being made, Il tl decreed lbs- hi. name be cha.'god, a. prnyed for. to that of WILLIAM PARK MAN OKUOOIJ, which name be .ball hereafter bear, and which .ball be hi. legal name, anil that he glvo iinhlle notice of .aid change by publlehlng till, ...
Page 8 Advertisements Column 4 [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
RIDERS OF *pOXjTJ_MI_BIJL BICYCLES jfflffk TRICYCLES Constitute the majority of *-f American riders of first-class V%s/ H -ve ridden around the world. XA7/// A \\_»X Ho,d Wor,d 'B Records from liirßt-r |. 2 to 24 miles, inclusive. Have never been able to wear out their machines in 10 years of hard usage. *~* 9 POPE MFG. CO., 79 Franklin Street, - . . . Boston, By ILLUSTRATED CATALOGUE FREE. __T_ J "NEW MAIL BICYCLE."" Thii" beautiful light Roadatur lt&gt; the very latest Improvement; It wilt j&gt; iy you to call and see It. The highest grad j wannine yet, Invented. W. J. NEWMAN, Agent for .-abridge, 10 Brattle SlrertBICYCLE SUPPLIES AND REPAIRING. Manufacturer and Inventor of lire Keystone Bicycle Saddle. Second-band Macblne. Bought and Sold. FRANK E. GARLAND, BICYCLE 1 NiS Al pia N tf»«* UIV IUUJJ ( and Painting. 450 Cambridge St., Cambridgeport. Fir.t elaa. Work and Lowed Price.. , FOR BALE. TRICYCLIC, N-w York atyle, nearly naw rubber tire*. Oont ihlrty dollars, s...
Page 8 Advertisements Column 5 [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
EASTERN MARKET, HEADQUABTBR* FOB gEEF, LAMB, MUTTON, POULTRY, alto Fresh, Smoked and Salt Meats, Hams, Pork and Sausages, a large assortment of Canned Goods. Full line of Vegetable*. Best Creamery Butter at low prices. a. a. ptjrdy, 471 Main Street, -:- Cambridgeport ENOCH BEANE &amp; CO., DEALERS IN Choice Meats. Provisions., Groceries, Fruit and Vegetables, Fish and Oysters, 906 * 908 Main St., Cambridge. Telephone No. 712 H. JOHN P. SQUIRE &amp; CO., DliU.EllH I.V PORK, LARD, HAMS, Tripe, Sausages, Flgi' reft. Alro manufacture— of EXTRA I.AKII OIL. 21, 23 A 25 Faneuil Hall Market and 39 and 40 North Market Si. John P. Squire. Frank 11. Squire. BOSTON. Fred F. Squire. INMAN SQUARE STABLE. a&gt; I wl.b to Inform my £ friend, and tbe publlo Wv__t Uwl I have lee.cd ibe well-known INMAN _ X STABLE, kept f.ir year. by Mr. .1. X. Feby.n, end re ■ tucked It with NKW CARRIAUEB, lIA UN ESSES, ETC.— HOIAI. IU ANY IN THE CUT. Boarder, taken mi the rrro.t liberal term....
HARVARD SQUARE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS From a Business Point of View. ITS LIVE AND ACTIVE MERCHANTS. Who They Are and How They Do Business. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
HARVARD SQUARE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS From a Business Point of View. ITS LIVE AND ACTIVE MERCHANTS. Who They Are and How They Do Business. The retail trade of Harvard square and its surroundings Is so big a subject that even this four-page supplement is not roomy enough to contain all that might be said with interest and profit concerning it. What is presented below is, however, the fullest review of Ihe subject that has yet been made, aud It contains a large amount of interesting and timely information. The amount of businesi done in this part of the city il increasing every year, and Harvard square is desliued in tbe near future to be an important centre of retail trade not only for the people of Ward One, but also for residents of North Cambridge, Arlington, Brighton, Watertown and other localities. WILLIAM WRIGHT.
Richardson & Bacon. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
Richardson &amp; Bacon. For a hundred years or more, College wharf, at the foot of Dunster street, has been owned by Harvard College. Prior to 1830 it was used solely by the college to land the wood needed in the c illege buildings. About that time it was leased by a Mr. Brown fur the sale of coal anil wood, who retained possession until 1840, when it was leased by Mr. W. T. Richardson, the present head of the well-known firm of Richardson A Bacon. During the lirst year he was in business Mr. Iticliardson handled about 700 tons of coal, and 200 cords of wood. Last year over 30,000 tons of coal snd 1,000 cords of wood were sold and delivered from College wharf. Mr. Richardson, the senior member of the firm, was born in Boiton in 1815. His father died when he was seven years old, and he was sent into New Hampshire, where he worked on a farm till be reached the age of fifteen, getting some little schooling ƒ— the winters. He came to Cambridge in 1830, taking a place in the stor...
George A. Wood. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
George A. Wood. Mr. George A. Wood, who succeeded his father three years ago as proprietor of the grocery store at the corner of Harvard square and Boylston street, was born in Cambridge forty-four years ago. He was educated in the public schools here, and went into bis father's store as clerk at the age nf seventeen. In 1862 he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Massachusetts Volunteers, Col. Lucius B. Marsh, and served for a year, doing good work. After the war, Mr. Wood bought a firm of 100 acres in Woodhull, Henry County, Illinois, where he remained for ten years, living a farmer's life. In 1876 he returned to Cambridge, taking a position in bis father'! itore. In 1884 he bought the itore which he now owns, and where be is doing a notably successful business. Mr. Wood Is married, but has no children. Mr. J, M. Hilton, who as an enterprising and far-seeing real-estate owner and dealer, is as well known as any man in Harvard square, was born in Anson, Maine. He was a poor boy, and was ...
J. H. H. McNamee. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
J. H. H. McNamee. Mr. J. It. 11. McNiimeo, one of the most active and successful of our younger business men, was born in Randolph. Mass., in 1858, and came to Cambridge when eight years old. Ito was educated iv tlio public schools of Randolph and Cambridge, and graduated from Bolton College in 1870 with the highest honors. When he was but ten years old he worked for a time at tho Riverside Press, thus laying the foundation for his future active life. After graduation lie learned the bookbinder's trade in the establishment of Maeilonald A Sons of Boston, whore ho worked for ten years, becoming expert anil tliuiough in all branches of the business, lie then workcrl for n year iv New York city, and subsequently for a short time again at Maeilonald A Sons' bindery. On March 23, 1880, he started in business for himself in a room above Ramsay's store, 1 Brattle street, remaining there three years. His business, meantime, rapidly increasing, ho moved into tho spacious premises which ho no...
Miss M. R. Jones. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
Miss M. R. Jones. There was a time when Cambridgo people wore obliged to go to Boston to obtain a caterer for their balls, parties, weddings and receptions, Today, Cambridge is ono of tlie poorest Holds in the vicinity of Boston for caterers, as the whole trado is so monopolized by ono Cambridge concern. Miss M. It. Jones is responsible for this revolution in affairs, and her name is familiar to every society and household in tlio eitv. All this success has boon achieved In five years by hard, persevering labor. Her Introduction into tlio business Was Required through eight years of oxporieneo with her predecessor, Mr. Charles Helebei, iilthoiigltjio ilid but little entering, but. oonlined lil'msiilf to the manufacture of ice cream and confectionery, it was five years after Miss Jones bought him out, that she perceived the rare opening in this linn. Mie proved just tho person for the emergency. Today, she employs eight regular assistants and extra bands as needed—twenty or mure not ...
William Wright. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
William Wright. The bakery of William Wright is one of the oldest established business concern! In Cambridge, it having been itarted iv the early part of the present century. Mr. Wright first became connected with it in March, 1842, when It was conducted by the late Deacon William Brown, at which time he was employed as foreman. The bakery wai at that time located at the corner of Harvard and Dunster streets, on the lot now occupied by Little's Block. About 1846 the business was removed to 88 and 90 Mt. Auburn sireet, and in 1852' it came into the control of Mr. Wright ami has remained under, his management, since that time. Numerous changes aiid enlargements have been rendered necessary by ihe increasing demands of a growing business until Anally, In 1870, Ihe present bakehouse and store were erected by Mr. Wright at the corner of Dunster and Mt. Auburn streets, on the site of the first meeting house In Cambridge In 1032. The bakery li probably one of tho healthiest and most comfor...
George G. Wright. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
George G. Wright. The grain and hay business of George G. Wright, 86 Mt. Auburn street, was established in 1870. The present store was erected especially for his uso and since that time the business has increased so that he now occupies several lofts in tho rear, in addition to a largo storehouse built by him on Athens place, the whole area occupied covoring over 4000 square foot, and at certain seasons of the year it is also necessary to store considerable stock in Boston warehouses, involving an expense of several hundred dollars per annum for storage. In the busy season, the amount of hay anil grain handled will average from forty lv fifty tuns per week, requiring the services of three men and threo horses to receive anil deliver Ihe same to customers. With the experience gained by over seventeen years of successful business and witli ample capital, Mr. Wright is enabled to tmrchasu his goods in the cheapest marcets, wherever located, cither at home or in other states, Grqin and ...
P. O'Brien & Son. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
P. O'Brien &amp; Son. The floral coniervatory of P.. O'Brien A Sou on Main, opposite Ellery street, is a noticeable attraction to patrons of the horse cars and all who happen to pass in that vicinity. Tlie firm has been closely identified -with the builnen Interests of Cambridge for Iho past thirty years, particularly ƒ— Ward One. T. e. present sole proprietor is Mr. John F. O'Brien, a representative and rising young business man, who began in this lino of work with his father after leaving the public schools in 1868. His father was Mr. Patrick O'Brien, who came to Cambridge in 1841 anil was from that time until his death, iv 1883, engaged in gardening at Mt. Auburn Cemetery. Associated with him In the business was his brother, James, who died in 1874. Tho present proprietor, after working for Ihe firm for shout four yoars, was iv 1872 taken Into the company. The firm name at that time was P. O'Brien A Co. After the death of Mr. James O'Brien it was changed to P. O'Brien A S...
George O. Danforth. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
George O. Danforth. Mr. George O. Danforth, a good likeness of whom appears on this page, will at once be recognized by 'hose who do not know him by name as a familiar character about Cambridge. He shares with Mr. Gunnison of Cambridgeport, who started in business at the same time, the honor of being the oldest painter in the (city. Mr.| Danforth was born in Cambridge In a house that stood where Leavltt A Pierces store now is, and his father was the first baker in the city, supplying with his products Cbarlestown, Chelsea and Newton, as well as his own town. Mr. Danforth learned the painter's trade of Mr. John Fulton, now a resident of Winthrop street. He established himself in business in 1844 on Boylston, then Brighton, street, where he remained until 1860, when he moved to 17 Brattle sireet. About fifteen years ago he took his present shop, No. 5 Palmer street. Associated with him for the past nineteen* years has beeu his son, J. L. Danforth. In the busy teason the firm employs t...
John Ford & Son. [Newspaper Article] — Cambridge Tribune — 14 May 1887
John Ford &amp; Son. John Ford, the late head of this wellknown printing establishment (and whose portrait we are glad to place before our readers), was born in Boston, August 25, 1807. When fourteen years old, he was put to apprenticeship In the office of the Christian Watchman, where he worked seven years. In 1828 he entered the employ of T. It. Marvin, as a journeyman. In 1832 Mr. Ford became a printer and in 1833 he published the Boston Mercantile Journal, which was enlarged in 1884, and its name changed to Evening Mercantile Journal. The Boston Daily Journal of today is the natural successor of these papers. Mr. Ford continued In the printing business till 1840, in which year he conducted a restaurant in Wilson's lane till 1847, in which year lie took charge of the Chronicle. After disposing of the latter paper, in 1858, he went into business as a job and pamphlet printer in Harvard square, where he remained till his death on the 10th of April, 1878. A well-known journa...