Elephind.com contains 939 items from Highland Park News-Herald & Journal
, samples of which are listed below. All items
from this newspaper title are freely available and can be searched from the search box above. You may also search the entire
collection of 2,990 newspaper titles in Elephind.com
Highland Park Christians Tent was their first home' [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Highland Park Christians Tent was their first home' In the fall of 1904 a few scattered members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) living in this community organized a Sunday school in the private residence of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Geer. In December of the same year a large tent was secured from C. C. Chapman and was pitched on North Ave. 56. Here the Sunday school met each Sunday with occasional preaching from visiting pastors of Los Angeles churches. In January 1905, the Southern California Missionary Society attempted to conduct an evangelistic meeting but it was abandoned because of bad weather. A goodly number having shown a desire to have a permanent church home in Highland Park, it was decided to effect an organization. Thirtytwo signed as charter members in April, 1905. A lot was purchased at the corner of Monte Vista Street and Avenue 58 where a chapel was erected at a cost of $lBOO. It was dedicated Oct. 1, 1905. J. I. Meyers was called as the first regular pastor ...
Mt. Washington Presbyierian Thirty five members in 1909 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Mt. Washington Presbyierian Thirty five members in 1909 Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church located at 4900 Cleland Avenue, is the outgrowth of a Sunday school which first began in a small, one-room frame building years before the present church was even organized. Dr. G. C. Butterfield, of Highland Park, Synodical Sunday school missionary first organized the Sunday school and with the aid of John G. Merrill helped the people obtain two lots and a portable chapel 20 by 30 feet. OCCIDENTAL STUDENTS With Earl Haney as the first superintendent, followed by Harold Pellegrin, and then Christopher Gaskell, the Sunday school was manned largely by students from nearby Occidental College, which was then located at the corner of N. Ave. 50 and Pasadena Ave. Preaching services were soon started by Dr. S. E. Wishard and on Oct. 4, 1908, William E. Roberts, an Oxy senior took over the preaching and under bis leadership, the church was organized with 35 charter members. on May 2, 1909, with Dr. Wi...
They met in Miller's Hall [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
They met in Miller's Hall Highland Park Lutheran Church was organized in' 1923 with about 30 members. At that time Highland Park had passed through the final stages of its building boom by filling the remaining lots with houses. The church was begun under existing financial policies of that era. Today the erection of new churches in mushrooming areas of our vast city is financed by large loans and grants. A board, appointed for this purpose, watches new suburban developments and acquires several acres of ground when the first cluster of houses is being built. Later young churches in these areas are given enough financial aid to erect a complete functioning plant, which is then amortized by long term loans. This was unheard of 40 years ago. Highland Park Lutheran Church was no exception. The first service was held in Miller's Hall, which until a few years ago, was at Avenue 63 and York Blvd. (then Pasadena Ave.). Two lots were purchased in 1924 and the present church was erected in 1...
Highland Art Guild adds to Higland Park culture [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Highland Art Guild adds to Higland Park culture Excerpts from the Highland Art Guild’s scrap-book reveal its cultural contribution to this community throughout the years. The Guild which originated with a handful of professional paipters and sculptors in 1946, quickly spread to a charter membership of 50 in 1947, and has continuously grown and sustained an active membership for 17 years. Memberships which originally consisted of only Highland Park residents now include artists from the areas of Eagle Rock, Alhambra, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Glendale and Arcadia. Purpose and object of the Guild is “to perpetuate art in Highland Park and the vicinity, to work for the mutual benefit of members; to assist each other in improving the quality of their work; to develop an appreciation of art in the minds of the public; to sponsor art exhibits, programs and related activities (to which the public is always invited); and to advocate the use of original paintings in the homes, clubs and publ...
Page 82 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
HIGHLAND PARK DIAMOND JUBILEE |75 years, iiiiliJlßs IVOF PROGRESS® We are Proud To Participate ERNIE OATES 1926-1963 "THE ERNIE OATES STORY" It all started on a Friday afternoon in the Citizens National Bank in Lincoln Heights. Miss Florence Marsh, a new secretary in the bank, was introduced to a young, energetic Richfield dealer, Ernie Oates. Coincidence and good luck brought the couple together again that evening at a Mormon Church dance. Shortly thereafter, the bank’s loss was Ernie’s and Richfield’s gain. Now 38 years and four children later, Ernie admits that going into that bank was one of the smartest things he ever did. From the beginning of their marriage, Florence Oates has kept books for Ernie. The volume now has become so large that she supervises the activities of three assistants. The couple have three daughters, Elaine, Diane and Irene, who are all manned, making Florence and Ernie grandparents 10 times over. Elaine’s husband, Quentin Woolley, a former Richfield repre...
Page 82 Advertisements Column 2 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT . . . MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT . . . The Highland Theatre 1925 - 1963 DO YOU REMEMBER? Norma Shearer Lewis Stone Mary Pickford Charlie Chaplin Fatty Arbuckle William S. Hart Rudolph Valentino Through the years, these and many other great names have appeared in some of the memorable movies shown at the Highland Theatre—since 1925. SI LENTS TALKIES COLOR 3 DIMENSION CINEMA-SCOPE STEREOPHONIC SOUND AND WE ARE STILL OFFERING YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT ... THE BEST POSSIBLE MOVIES ... AT A REASONABLE PRICE! YOUR HIGHLAND THEATRE MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT . . . MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT . . . MOVIES ARE YOUR FINEST ENTERTAINMENT
Baptists sought gold' in hills of Highlands [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Baptists sought gold' in hills of Highlands Highland Park Baptist Church, located at Monte Vista and N. Ave. 59, Highland Park, was organized 56 years ago, on March 12, 1907. In the fall of 1906, members of the First Baptist Church of Los Angeles conducted a canvass of the growing suburb of Highland Park, seeking the “gold” they knew to be in these bills. As a result, the first official meeting of what was to be the Highland Park Baptist Church was held Nov. 18, 1906, under the auspices of the newly organized Los Angeles Baptist City Mission Society, at 3 p.m. in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church on the corner of Ave. 58 and Marmion Way, Highland Park. [This Presbyterian Church very kindly tendered to the Baptists the use of their church for afternoon services on Sunday, and Thursday evening prayer service. Three days later, the first prayer meeting was held, and the following is copied from the Record Book; "The first prayer meeting of the Highland Park Baptists was held in the Cu...
Air conditioned church not new to Presbyterian [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Air conditioned church not new to Presbyterian Did you know that Highland Park Presbyterian was the first church to have air conditioning? Way back in 1913 congregations at the local church were kept cool and comfortable by a rather primitive type of air cooling, but apparently it worked. According to the News-Her-ald of the summer of 1913, "powerful fans bring fresh air from the outside into a cement air mixing chamber in the basement, driving it into the audience room through hundreds of ducts, so quietly that no one knew where it came from.” Farewell service Acolytes led the procession from the church as All Saints Episcc;:ats vacated the Old church for the last lime and entered their modern new church on November 1, 1960.
All Saints first church cost congregation $1750 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
All Saints first church cost congregation $1750 Back in 1904, a group of Episcopalians in Highland Park and Garvanza purchased some property at the corner of Ave. 56 and Ash Street for $6OO and at a cost of $1750 —built a little wooden church. The first service in that chapel was held on May 8, 1904. The last was on Nov. 1, 1960—when the parishioners of All Saints-Highland Park opened their new, modern church at 5619 Monte Vista. The local church was originally affiliated with the Church of the Angels, Pasadena, and the Rev. Dr. A. G. L. True served as vicar for both until 1908, when All Saints became an independent parish. The first rector was the Rev. H. E. Bowers who resigned within a year due to failing health. He was succeeded by the Rev. W .E. Maison, formerly of Escondido. Father Maison remained at All Saints as priest and pastor for 37 years, guiding his little flock through the difficult days of two world wars and the great depression. He was also instrumental in helping or...
Biggest church had very small beginnings [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Biggest church had very small beginnings Highland Park Presbyterian Church, now the biggest edifice in the area, recently remodeled and redecorated, had its obscure beginnings as a missionary school back in the year 1898 when 39 devoted missionaries gathered under the Rev. H. C. Mcßurney and his wife, for missionary instruction. The original building was erected in 1905 when the congregation was headed by the Rev. Franklin Berg. The main building took form under the pastorate of the Rev. Campbell Cayle during the years 1823-24. By the year 194)8 the church declared itself completely out of debt.
Growth at Hermon is revealed [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Growth at Hermon is revealed Hermon Free Methodist Church was organized in 1904 and the original building was constructed in 1905. In 1921 the church was enlarged. B. C. Johnson was pastor at the time. During the term of Robert H. Warren, Sr., the two story Ulrich Hall Building was constructed for the beginner and primary Sunday school departments. Under the leadership of Walter C. Reynolds the building across the street from the church (known as The Fellowship Building) was purchased and remodeled for its present use. The present sanctuary was constructed during the ministry of Robert H. Warren, Jr., who pastored the church from 19461958, before accepting the pastorate of the Community Church in Longview, Washington. The church property now consists of these three buildings plus the parsonage. Other living former pastors are B. C. Johnson, 1919-22; C. A. Watson, 1922-23; Frank C. Abbott, 1934-37; Walter C. Reynolds, 1952-46; and Elmer D. Riggs, 1958-61, now pastor of the Bloomfield...
Church of the Angels Archbishop of Canterbury consulted on building plan [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Church of the Angels Archbishop of Canterbury consulted on building plan By E. C. Winder Junior Warden The Church of the Angels was built in 1889. The cornerstone was laid on Easter of that year and the finished structure was dedicated at Michaelmas in October “To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Robert Alexander Campbell-Johnston’s widow.” The family had come from England some time before and, acquiring the San Rafael Rancho, lived on it until it was finally disposed of, piece by piece, the last having been sold in this decade. Mrs. Frances Campbell-John-ston devoted the last years of her life to the conception and completion of her worthy project, often consulting the Archbishop of Canterbury in regard to it. The plans, from a wellknown English architect, Arthur Edmund Street, R.S.A., were followed by the builders as faithfully as conditions would permit; but changes were necessary, chiefly owing to the lack of skilled workmen to execute stone carvings and other fine detai...
Garvania Mefhodlsf . . . oldest church in iown It grew up with Highland Park [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Garvania Mefhodlsf . . . oldest church in iown It grew up with Highland Park The story of Garvanza Methodist Church, the oldest church in the area, runs parallel with the history of that part of Highland Park known as the Garvanza Tract. Prior to 1886, the area consisted of dairies, farm plots and picnic grounds along the Arroyo. Only a score of families lived in the district. Ralph Rogers joined the building boom of 1886, subdividing and developing Garvanza Township. The need of a church in the development was felt by the citizens and under the guidance of W. F. McClure, a civil engineer, and Thomas Fellows, a building contractor, a request was presented to Rogers for a building to be used for Sunday school services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Practical minded Rogers, realizing the value to him, offered the lobby of the unfinished Garvanza Hotel being built on Avenue 63 at the Arroyo. The Methodists had to find other quarters on completion of the hotel. Meeting at the homes ...
Congregation once met in old mill [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Congregation once met in old mill The Highland Park Community Church of God, located at Ave. 62 and Ruby Street, was started by 35 members from the First Church of God in Los Angeles who were living in the Highland Park area. The first service was held on Nov. 13, 1927 in a mill building on N. Figueroa St. The Woman’s Missionary Society was organized two years before the first service of the church and contributed financially to the purchase of the lot at the present location. They later paid for many facilities and equipment of the first unit built, which was dedicated Nov. 11, 1928 by the Rev. S. S. Johnson, who was then pastor. Later Rev. Ross Hinkler served six years as pastor. Following him, the Rev. L. W. Guilford was called in 1936 and built the present sanctuary at the corner of Ave. 62 and Ruby St., which was dedicated Feb. 23, 1941. At the close of his eight-year pastorate, the Highland Park Church sponsored him in a new work in Pasadena for a year. The Rev. T. M. Ramsay b...
Page 84 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
HIGHLAND PARK DIAMOND JUBILEE 75 years PROGRESS OF 7 We Proud are pr To Participate SCHROEDER'S DOUGLAS STATION 1961 963 Ed Schroeder is truly a part of the history of Highland Park, having lived here since 1933 . . . plus the interesting fact he enrolled as a student at Luther Burbank the very year it opened. The Avenue 64 corner is full of history too, for on that corner back 10 years ago there was a big brick building housing the Garvanza Drug store, the shopping center of old Garvanza. Ed Schroeder purchased the modern, new super service station from the Pauley firm and has continued to increase customer count by offering a complete one stop service and the finest in gas and lubricants. Ed personally invites you to join the aver increasing number of motorists making Schroeder’s Douglas their Service Headquarters. CORNER OF AVENUE 64 AND YORK BOULEVARD