Elephind.com contains 939 items from Highland Park News-Herald & Journal
, samples of which are listed below. All items
from this newspaper title are freely available and can be searched from the search box above. You may also search the entire
collection of 2,771 newspaper titles in Elephind.com
Page 70 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
PARK HIGHLAND JUBILEE DIAMOND 75 years PROGRESS OF We Proud are V To Participate COMMUNITY ESCROW CO INC 1963 1946 Headed up by Joseph A. Lararoni, this firm has enjoyed a constant growth since opening the office here in Highland Park, some 17 years ago . . . April 1946 to be exact. Feeling that the area had a future for growth and expansion (and how that prediction came true!l The firm has been pleased to have been a part of our unique suburbia. Offering a personalized service . . . and a service that takes pride in their rapid and efficient escrow work . . . the Community Escrow has virtually grown up with the community during the past decade. At this time. President Lazaroni and his entire staff, congratulate Highland Park on its 75th Birthday. 6330 North Figueroa We're Growing, Too! Many businesses in the Northeast Los Angeles area have grown with Highland Park. One such establishment is R&amp; T Imported Car Service. After two short years, R &amp; T had to look ...
MILLER'S HALL Time finally caught up [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
MILLER'S HALL Time finally caught up By FRED ALLEN Miller’s Hall, the grandaddy of the Highland Park business district, was demolished in June of 1959. Tattered and creaking with age, the two-story wood frame building at 6307-11 York Blvd. was condemned a month earlier by the city building and safety department. Built in 1885 by William Miller, just 20 years after the end of the Civil War, the structure was the scene of countless civic gatherings and lodge meetings. The hall had been witness to the growth of a community from open fields and watering hole, to a thriving business and residential district. CRUMBLING WALLS Passersby looking up at the weatherbeaten structure could see where the woodpeckers had feasted on the molding of the big gable that jutted out from the center of the second floor. At the side of the hall the rain spout had crumbled and fallen to the ground; nails on the wood siding were falling out and some of the boards had buckled. Thuosands of hands had turned the...
Paving of York Blvd. assured [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Paving of York Blvd. assured (Reprinted from April 15, 1931 HP Herald) The circulators of the petitions for the paving of York Blvd. announced that they have secured approximately 70 percent of the frontage on Vork in favor of the paving being in at this time. It is also pleasing to note that the petition was signed by almost 100 percent of those approached by the solicitors. Only two property owners have refused to sign the petition.
'Successful Failure' Old Cycleway, dream of the 90 s fizzled [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
'Successful Failure' Old Cycleway, dream of the 90 s fizzled Under the caption “A Successful Failure,” the April 1931 issue of the magazine, Southern California Business, carries the story concerning the old Los Angeles - Pasadena cycleway, sections of which remain intact to this day along the side of the Arroyo Seco: “One of the dreams of the gay nineties was the linking of Los Angeles and Pasadena by ‘cycleway,’ to make nine miles of smooth thoroughfare for businessmen to the city, and for pleasure jaunts. This project seems laughable today, with hundreds of autos skimming hourly over wide asphalt roads between the two cities. “H. M. Dobbins of Pasadena was the moving spirit of the project who obtained by condemnation the right to build an elevated way for bicycles, tricycles or horseless carriages. A plan of financing was worked out, and the Title Insurance and Trust Company made trustee for the cycleway bonds, which were issued in 1898. “The cycleway was planned to be 20 feet hi...
Areas changing panorama [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Areas changing panorama SYCAMORE GROVE VALLEY, 1885—Electricity for Garvanza (Highland Park) was still 13 years away when this photograph was taken in 18 85 looking north toward Highland Park from present-day intersection of Ave. 39 and Marmion Way. Train tracks are San Gabriel Valley Railroad, forerunner of Santa Fe. Note barren hill at left of picture, where Southwest Museum now stands. Museum cornerstone was la id in 1913, 8 years after this picture was taken. Road in center of picture is old Pasadena Avenue, now N. Figueroa St. (Photo Courtesy, Security First Nat’l Bank) SAME VIEW—7B YEARS LATER—Photo token recently from Ave. 39 and Marmion Way shows interesting changes in landscape during past 78 years. Except for additional growth, mountain range and hills remain the same. Southwest Museum, now 49 years old, stands out like steel and concrete sentinef on hillside at left. Sycamore Grove Park it about half mile north of here.
Sycamore Grove once beer garden [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Sycamore Grove once beer garden By FEED ALLEN Except for a saloon in Sycamore Grove, Highland Park might never have become annexed to Los Angeles, a city that marks its 183 rd birthday this year. The Grove, where 250,000 people came last year to break bread against the scenic backdrop of the Arroyo Seco, was under fire in the 1890’s from the clergy of Highland Park. Demon rum was sold in the roadhouses! Only solution to the problem, said the church leaders, was for Highland Park to incorporate as a separate city or become annexed to the growing City of the Angels. Since incorporation seemed impossible, annexation was the answer. Highland Park joined Los Angeles in 1898, and a short time later Sycamore Grove became “dry." JUDGES ‘REFRESHED' Clergymen were probably spurred in their anti-liquor move by circuit riding judges who came from neighboring Glendale to try cases in Highland Park. An exhausting trip in those days, the barristers would sometimes stop at Sycamore Grove to freshen...
Page 72 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
HIGHLAND PARK DIAMOND JUBILEE 1'75 YEARsmdiii 1 OF^ROGRESSj We are Proad To Participate WARD REALTY COMPANY 1922-1963 Another Father and Son success story . . . W, T. Ward and Son, Wm. George Ward. Here is a team that have totaled some 41 years, serving this area in the real estate business as well as having taken part in the construction of many fine homes and apartments. A quote from Wm. (Bill! Ward tells the story in fine detail: Ward Realty Co. is not only the oldest established realty company in Northeast Los Angeles, it is probably the most complete office. We list and sell homes. We have a General Contractors license and build homes and apartments. We have a thriving private loan business. We write all types of general insurance. We are FHA and Gl Loan specialists; and maintain a complete probate sales department. Presently plans are being developed to expand our office facilities to include 8 salespeople, a sales manager and two secretaries. We are still growing with our com...
LET THERE BE MUSIC Symphony Association hits high note here [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
LET THERE BE MUSIC Symphony Association hits high note here In 1946 the greatest artistic venture in the history of Highland Park was started the founding of our community symphony orchestra. Since then the orchestra has grown to be one of the best known of its type in Southern California. National statistics show that in communities having symphony orchestras, property values are up eight per cent. Early in 1946 Chester Perry, music instructor at Franklin High and Dr. Clarence Lamb, principal of the evening school, placed an ad in the Highland Park News-Herald asking for interested people to come to a meeting. Councilman and Mrs. John Holland, J. Arthur Lewis, and Helen Phillips Cordell were among those present. Mr. Holland appointed Mrs. Cordell “temporary” chairman, an appointment that has lasted for 18 years. Dr. Lewis was elected first vice president and Mrs. Minnie Beutzer treasurer, and they have also continued to serve for these 18 years. It was decided to launch the new gro...
Page 73 Advertisements Column 1 [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
HIGHLAND PARK DIAMOND JUBILEE 75 years progress OF We Proud are To Participate SEYMOUR’S JEWELERS 1924 1963 The “oldest” jewelers in Highlond Park . • . for 39 years, to be exact. Freeman Seymour started the firm at 5505 North Figueroa and moved in 1929 to 5537. Mr. Seymour retired in 1955. He had been in partnership with son, Paul from 1935. With vision and with faith in the future growth of Highland Park, Paul Seymour has recently purchased the Highland Park Jewelers, 5635 N. Figueroa. The Seymours have enjoyed a growth and reputation for these many years ... an earned reputation for watch and clock repair as well as their originality in designing custom-made jewelry. At their new location, the repair department will be expanded to take core of every customer’s needs. Paul Seymour expresses his appreciation to his customers for past patronage and salutes Highland Park on its 75th Birthday.
Northeast T serves thousands in HP area [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
Northeast T serves thousands in HP area Thousands of Highland Park boys and girls have benefitted from the character building programs of the Northeast YMCA, an outgrowth of the Highland Park “Y” that opened its doors here in 1945 as an extension of the downtown YMCA. First organizational meeting was called in the office of Attorney Bill Schaper, located in rooms above the Security Bank Building. Others in attendance when the local "V” was born were: John Holland, Cecil Betz, Tom Denyer, Oran W. Asa, Carl Eyerick and George MeClay. MET IN LIBRARY The “Y” was first operated for several months out of an office building in the 5700 block on North Figueroa, but shortly thereafter was able to move to the basement of the old Library building through the efforts of John Holland, first chairman of the “Y” board of managers. Other early chairmen included Tom Denyer, 1946-47; Asa Burbidge, 1948-49; Willis F. McComas, 1950-51; George Staff, 1952; Jack Groth, 1953. Jim Lacey was secured as the ...
PASSING OF A MOVIE HOUSE Park Theatre exits H. P. scene [Newspaper Article] — Highland Park News-Herald & Journal — 17 October 1963
PASSING OF A MOVIE HOUSE Park Theatre exits H. P. scene By Frank Whitaker Like the demise of the trolley car and the corner cigar store, another famous Highland Park landmark faded from the modern scene last May with the closing the Park Theatre here, and announcement that the 27-year-old cinema house would become part of Peoples Department Store. Born just six years after the ’29 crash that sank this country into its worst depression in history. “The building of the Park” became more or less a symbol of the renewed hope and faith that characterized the recovery period through the late '3os and into the booming '4os. THEATER That’s the year David L. Cantor and his partners sold their chain of theatres in Washington state and moved to Highland Park, because “There are more indications of present and future improvements here than in any place we have seen in Southern California.” For their new theatre adventure they picked an empty lot on N. Figueroa near Ave. 59, which at that time w...