More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
More information about this newspaper title may be available from wikipedia.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 518
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 25,612
Earliest Date: 7 January 1914
Latest Date: 28 December 1918
The St Arnaud Mercury was a newspaper first published on 13 February 1864 by the proprietors, Evans and Somerton, who also owned the Maryborough Advertiser.
It was purchased in 1868 by mining entrepreneur Ferris Charles Lewis (1828-1900). He bound yearly volumes and donated them to the Borough Council of St Arnaud, the Shire of Kara Kara and the Mechanics' Institute. The Lewis family owned the paper for 61 years with his two sons, Charles Ferris and Thomas George, continued the Mercury until 1929.
Now serving the region is the North Central News which published a 32-page supplement on 28 September, 2005, to mark the 150th anniversary of St Arnaud. Two pages were devoted to articles and photographs related to the history of newspapers in the town and the neighbouring Charlton.