More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Harlowton, Mont.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 252
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 1,232
Earliest Date: 5 February 1909
Latest Date: 16 January 1914
The Musselshell News, launched by A.F. West in 1906 was the forerunner of Harlowton News.Â The first extant issue of the Harlowton News appeared on February 5, 1909, trumpeting business developments in Harlowton, a town platted in 1900 with the arrival of the Montana Railway and its namesake and owner, Richard Harlow.Â The lifeblood of the town remained railroads and wheat production, especially when Harlowton became the eastern terminus of the 43-mile electrified portion of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad in 1916.Â Â One year later, Harlowton was named the seat of the newly created Wheatland County.
The Harlowton News provided reports on the nearby homestead communities of Moore, Lewistown, Roundup, and Judith Gap, along with good coverage of significant state events and issues.Â Cartoons and photos graced the weekly, along with local cattle brands.Â Adolph H. Eiselein, a Minnesota printer, became the editor and publisher in 1909, replacing Ellsworth F. Ross and Andrew C. Graves.Â In Eiseleinâ€™s first issue, a story appeared about the rental of the â€œnew and modernâ€� Graves Hotel to Helena businessman, J.N. Kleber.Â On the very same page of the six-page, six-column newspaper, there appeared a warning about the â€œyellow perilâ€� represented by Japanese immigrants, who undercut wages for native born Americans, and the militaristic government in Tokyo.Â Â
The Harlowton News supported Republican Thomas Carter in the 1910 senatorial race and published the Republican state platform on its front page.Â In 1913, the editor Eiselein sold the News and became the publisher of the Boulder Monitor.Â The last issue of the Harlowton News appeared on January 16, 1914. It was succeeded by the Harlowton Times in 1917.
Provided by: Montana Historical Society; Helena, MT