More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
City: Cimarron, Colfax County, N.M.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 76
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 524
Earliest Date: 7 January 1911
Latest Date: 31 December 1914
The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen served the ranching community of Cimarron in Colfax County, New Mexico. Cimarron earned the title “cowboy capital of northern New Mexico” and served as the county seat from 1872 to 1882. The town was officially founded in 1841 and was named after the nearby Cimarron River. Serving as headquarters for the Maxwell Land Grant, it had been a main stopping place along the Taos branch of the Santa Fe Trail attracting travelers, miners, traders, ranchers, and outlaws. Cimarron’s prestige waned in the 1880s as Raton became a key railroad center in the region. Tourism and exploitation of the area's abundant natural resources have helped the town continue.
The first newspaper launched at Cimarron was the Cimarron News in 1870. The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen commenced on March 4, 1908, and continued weekly publication through July 26, 1917. It was formed by a merger of the Cimarron Citizen and the Cimarron News and Press. It was published for a time as the Cimarron News-Citizen. The January 7, 1911 edition claimed in the heading that the newspaper had the, “Best equipped printing plant in northeast New Mexico,” where it also offered “Fine job and print work.” The heading also urged “Come to Cimarron—an ideal town in which to build an ideal home.” A year subscription to the paper cost $2.00, and it was printed every Saturday.
The Cimarron News and Cimarron Citizen published occasional Spanish language content, usually limited to legal notices.
Provided by: University of New Mexico