ELEPHIND.COM search the world's historical newspaper archives
From:  To: 
click here to view elephind tips
Elephind Tips
To find items containing all the words:
John Quincy Adams
Simply type the words:
John Quincy Adams
To find items containing the exact phrase:
John Quincy Adams
Put the phrase in quotes:
"John Quincy Adams"
To find either of the words:
president, congressman
Type OR between the words:
president OR congressman
For more tips take a look at the search tips page.
bubble pointer to elephind tips
click here to subscribe our mailing list
Publication Details

Panama City pilot.

More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.

Source: Chronicling America [US Library of Congress]

Country: United States

State: Florida

City: Panama City, Washington County, Fla.

Issues of this title available in Elephind: 84

Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 466

Earliest Date: 30 May 1907

Latest Date: 31 December 1908


Panama City Pilot

The Panama City Pilot was inaugurated on May 30, 1907, under the editorship of George M. West. One of the founders of Panama City, West was born in New York and worked for the railroad in Wisconsin, where he was eventually admitted to the state bar. He later acquired a winter home on St. Johns Bay in Florida’s Panhandle. Under West’s direction, the Panama City Pilot sought to promote the economic development of this growing area. In 1908, the Atlanta and St. Andrews Bay Railroad, which linked Atlanta to ports and tourist destinations along the white sand beaches of Florida’s Gulf Coast, passed through Panama City, connecting the town to both Tallahassee and Pensacola.

In 1909, the year Panama City became a municipality, West was married for a third time at the age of 63. His bride, Lillian Carlisle West, was 24 and would become the Pilot’s publisher, manager and editor in 1917 as her husband’s health declined. She continued to serve as managing editor from his death in 1926 through 1937, when she retired. Mrs. West also managed the St. Andrews Bay News, acquired in 1916, and the Lynn Haven Free Press, acquired in 1926.

Provided by: University of Florida