More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Gainesville, Fla.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 5
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 40
Earliest Date: 19 October 1906
Latest Date: 27 April 1907
The Gainesville University News was published on a semimonthly basis by and for students at the newly formed University of Florida. In 1906, the University moved to Gainesville from Ocala, where it had been a theological seminary. The new university was initially a school for men only, with, in part, a military focus. Though the University News lasted just two years, it was one of the first student newspapers in Florida. Its editors were A. Clyde Evans and Sam A. Sanborn.
The University News was eventually succeeded by the Florida Alligator another student-produced newspaper, which ran from 1912 to 1973, when it became the Independent Florida Alligator. In 1912, the University of Florida had moved to a new location, then on the edge of Gainesville, and had broadened its educational mission.
Provided by: University of Florida