More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Lewisburg, Pa.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 463
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 1,863
Earliest Date: 3 April 1850
Latest Date: 29 April 1859
East central Pennsylvaniaâ€™s Union County is dominated to the north and west by the Allegheny Mountains, with farming and settlement in the south and east. Founded in 1784, the county seat of Lewisburg is located on the West Bank of the Susquehanna River, Union Countyâ€™s eastern boundary.
At least eight early Lewisburg weeklies came and went between 1824 and 1842. â€œW.B. Shriner & S.A. Burkenbine started the Lewisburg Chronicle September 23, 1843,â€� according to the 1857 history Otzinachson, by John Meginness. â€œMarch 16, 1844, Mr. Burkenbine retired discouraged. Mr. Shriner plucked up courage and continued the paper . . . till . . . 1847, when he sold out to Oliver N. Worden, who conducted it until January 1st, 1850, when Henry C. Hickock became principal editor . . .â€�
The newspaper Shriner continued into 1847 was the Lewisburg Chronicle, and Union County General Advertiser a Saturday morning weekly. Worden followed with the Lewisburg Chronicle and West Branch General Advertiser (1847-48), the Lewisburg Chronicle, and the West Branch Farmer (1849), and the Lewisburg Chronicle, and West Branch Farmer (1850), in which the editing was taken over by Hickock. Shortly thereafter, the paper reverted to its original title, the Lewisburg Chronicle (1850-59).
The three Lewisburg Chronicles of the period 1849-59 were broadly similar in layout, as well as in outlook, within their four-page format. The front page was devoted to morally instructive prose, travel writing on exotic climes from Switzerland to the Sandwich Islands, and uplifting poetry; page 2 chiefly reprinted local, state, and national political news, speeches, and occasional items of foreign news; page 3 was given over to advertising (typically including the only illustrations); and page 4 was a catch-all, combining humorous stories, letters, and court news along with advertisements, many of which hawked patent medicine and nostrums. For years, readers of page 4 endured the dour weekly glare of â€œOld Dr. Jacob Townsend, the original discoverer of the Genuine Townsend Sarsaparilla,â€� which vied for attention with such suspect cure-alls as â€œTraskâ€™s Magnetic Ointmentâ€� and â€œThomsonâ€™s Compound Syrup of Wood Tar and Naphtha.â€�
Published in 1849, the Lewisburg Chronicle, and the West Branch Farmer often made mention of the California gold rush, much of it in the form of cautionary advice to local readers afflicted with â€œthe gold bug.â€� The Lewisburg Chronicle, and West Branch Farmer that succeeded it on January 2, 1850, with Hickock as editor, boasted in its bold subhead that it was to be â€œAn independent family Paper --- devoted to News, Literature, Politics, Agriculture, Science and Morality.â€� All three papers featured infrequent but often extensive ruminations on the emerging great issue of the age--slavery in America, and its extension to new states joining the union--although it would be the mid-1850s before the paper formally identified itself as following a Republican banner.
In 1859, Samuel H. Orwig, publisher of the Union County Star in nearby Mifflinburg, sold the Star to Worden and Wordenâ€™s new editor, John R. Cornelius, and the Union County Star and Lewisburg Chronicle was born.
Provided by: Penn State University Libraries; University Park, PA