More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Columbia, Mo.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 103
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 426
Earliest Date: 1 November 1901
Latest Date: 25 December 1903
The Columbia Professional World was established by Rufus Logan in 1901 to serve the African American community in Boone County, Missouri. Published each Friday, this four-page paper aimed to provide in-depth “discussion of all subjects pertaining to the education and elevation of the negro.” Politically conservative, the Professional World supported the ideology of prominent educator Booker T. Washington who encouraged self-improvement within the black community and advocated peaceful race relations, believing that African Americans would be more successful achieving equal participation in society by becoming a skilled workforce and acting responsibly.
Upon its debut in 1901,the Professional World enjoyed strong advertising support from businesses in both Columbia and Jefferson City as well as support from other Columbia newspapers. Indeed, the Professional World delightedlyremarked on the “kind words and good wishes for success as have been extended by The Daily Tribune and The Weekly Commercial.”
However, its relationship with rival black newspapers was more contentious. John W. Wheeler, editor of the St. Louis Palladium, was known for his self-promoting articles and his penchant for instigating public arguments with colleagues and community leaders. Believing that Logan and the Professional World were attempting to replace the Palladium as the official organ of two fraternal organizations--The United Brothers of Friendship and the Sisters of the Mysterious Ten--Wheeler launched an attack against Rufus Logan and his newspaper.
Although most African American papers of the era lasted less than a decade because of a limited readership or a lack of capital, the Professional World enjoyed a comparatively long run of 19 years before it was closed.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Missouri; Columbia, MO