More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
City: Las Vegas, N.M.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 78
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 578
Earliest Date: 5 March 1898
Latest Date: 19 July 1902
The seat of San Miguel County, New Mexico, Las Vegas depended on farming and sheep ranching until 1879, when it became a major stopping point on the Santa Fe Trail and subsequently the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. Las Vegas was incorporated as a city in 1888, New Mexico Highlands University was founded there in 1893, and the town acquired a county courthouse in 1912. However, three distinct communities developed in Las Vegas. Upper Town remained a small community that declined after 1870. West Las Vegas (Old Town), on the west side of the Rio Gallinas, was largely Hispanic. East Las Vegas rested on the east side of the river by the railroad, was newer and chiefly Anglo-American. The Las Vegas Weekly Optic and Stock Grower was published in East Las Vegas and intended primarily for its residents.
The papercommenced publication on February 6, 1898, and continued through December 25, 1920. It was formed by a merger of the Las Vegas Weekly Optic and the Stock Grower and Farmer. Title variances included the Las Vegas Optic and Livestock Growerand the Weekly Optic and Live Stock Grower. The April 2, 1898 edition of the Weekly Optic and Stock Grower stated in the heading that a subscription cost $2.00 a year.
Although the editors published the Las Vegas Weekly Optic and Stock Grower almost exclusively in English, two issues contained limited Spanish language content--July 29, 1899, and September 23, 1899.
Provided by: University of New Mexico