More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Fort Worth, Tex.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 1,621
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 14,970
Earliest Date: 1 April 1891
Latest Date: 30 April 1896
The Fort Worth Gazette succeeded the Fort Worth Daily Gazette when the Daily Gazette's sister publication, the Fort Worth Weekly Gazette, was suspended in 1891. The new Fort Worth Gazette assumed the resources of the preceding titles, including the same publisher, the Democrat Publishing Company. Upon the death of its editor Walter Malone in that same year, ownership of the Gazette passed first to the Gazette Company and then to the State Printing Company. Former Daily Gazette editor Buckley B. Paddock recalled that “with [Malone’s] death the paper was doomed.” In 1896, the owners of the Fort Worth Gazette sold its Associated Press franchise and subscription list to The Dallas Morning News, and Fort Worth lost its only daily newspaper without warning.
During its brief lifetime, the Fort Worth Gazette appeared in three distinct editions: a daily (published every day of the year), a Sunday edition, and a weekly. The publishers nominally issued the Sunday edition as a daily, but the Sunday Gazette's length and character set it apart from the week’s other issues. Furthermore, for several months in 1895 the second part of the 16-page Sunday Gazette carried a banner reading Illustrated Sunday Gazette or the Sunday Illustrated Fort Worth Gazette. Readers could subscribe to the Sunday edition separately, and its circulation surpassed that of the other dailies.
By 1893, the daily edition numbered between eight and twelve pages, and reached 8,420 people at an annual subscription rate of $8.00, while the Sunday edition boasted a circulation rate of 10,400 at $2.00 per year. The weekly held the highest circulation rate of them all, at 17,070, at the cheapest price: $1.00 per year. All three editions measured 18 x 24 inches.
Erasmus G. Senter served as managing editor of the Fort Worth Gazette after Malone’s death. The paper continued to cover national and international events, obtained through wire services, and reported on civic life, real estate transactions, and railroad news in such columns as “Around the City”, “The City in Brief,” and “In and About Fort Worth.” The Gazette provided a look at Fort Worth’s history, often in the form of written remembrances of events and buildings. The paper maintained approximately forty branch offices throughout the state, including ones in Dallas and Abilene. The Gazette's “Texas in Type” and “Agricultural Department” columns and its market listings provided unique perspectives on matters of interest to all Texans.
When the Gazette gathered its daily and weekly operations under one banner in 1891, it implemented a few changes to its look and feel. Most prominently, the paper’s nameplate abandoned its former Gothic lettering in favor of a stately, more angular serif lettering. Furthermore, advertisements played a larger role on the Gazette's front page and masthead, and soon there was no mistaking it: the newspaper’s banner shared its space with local advertisers. In later years, the Gazette emphasized its independence by declaring in the editorial masthead: “Not Owned by the Trusts.”
Provided by: University of North Texas; Denton, TX