More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Savannah, Mo.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 260
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 1,482
Earliest Date: 1 November 1871
Latest Date: 14 December 1876
The Savannah Andrew County RepublicanÂ was established in October 1871 by a joint-stock company, directed by William W. Caldwell, Samuel Â Frodsham, and William S. Greenlee. John Sherman was elected as the first editor and manager, but he left the paper after six months. Shermanâ€™s replacement was O. E. Paul who had previously worked for the Cincinnati Commercial in Ohio. Under Paulâ€™s leadership, the Republican became a highly respected newspaper in Northwest Missouri as well as the political mouthpiece of the Republican Party in Andrew County. The paper was a five-column quarto published weekly, initially on Wednesdays.Â By spring of 1872, the Republican was issued every Friday.
In the spring of 1873, part of the main square of Savannah, Missouri, burned, destroying much of the Andrew County Republicanâ€™s newspaper office. However, the paper rallied, purchasing the Savannah New Era. The acquired materials allowed the Republican to continue publication, and in the March 28, 1873 issue, the Republican wrote that it â€œseems strange that the destruction of the REPUBLICAN office by fire should be followed by the death of the Era, but such is the fact.â€� The paper announced that its advertising rates would remain the same but pointedly reminded advertisers that the â€œcirculation equals the combined subscription lists of the two papersâ€� and that â€œmoney spent in advertising will go twice as far now as formerly.â€�
Paul purchased the paper and continued to serve as its publisher until 1875 when he sold out to Francis M. Taylor. Taylor published the Republican until December 1876 at which time George E. King & Company bought it. King & Company would change its name to the Andrew County Advance, simultaneously altering the policy, tone, appearance, and political slant of the paper which then became labeled as an independent sheet.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Missouri; Columbia, MO