More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Glendive, Mont.
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 261
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 2,100
Earliest Date: 2 January 1908
Latest Date: 26 December 1912
In the first issue of the Yellowstone Monitor launched in 1905 in Glendive, Montana, the publisher, E.A. Martin, proclaimed the newspaper's political independence and laid out its publishing philosophy: â€œWe have no special mission, no enemies to punish or friends to reward.Â This is a business venture, pure and simple.â€� Under the masthead appeared the motto: "Our Aim: To Publish a Newspaper." The first issue reflected the communityâ€™s interest in farming and ranching. It reported on the availability of irrigated crop land and provided an entire page of cattle and horse brands, proclaiming the value of advertising brands in locating wandering stock. The Monitor also included a regular column entitled "Wibaux News," which promoted the fledging town of Wibaux as the â€œgate cityâ€� of the Northern Pacific Railway, noting its excellent stock range and the local literary society.
In 1909, the newspaper published an ad for the Lower Yellowstone Water Users Association, which provided irrigation water for over 65,000 acres in Dawson County--a Bureau of Reclamation project involving the expenditure of $1.8 million by the federal government. In a column entitled "Success and Prosperity" the editor declared Dawson County the "land of prosperity with no paupers and [where] everyoneâ€™s well fedâ€”where all roads lead downhill to Wibaux."
By 1912, Glendive was reaping the benefits of the homestead boom. The newspaper touted a visit from the St. Paul symphony and a train spot by William Jennings Bryan on his cross-country presidential campaign. The eight-page, six-column weekly posted ads for a Campbell System dry farming manual, "Insurance against Drouth," as well as providing regular columns titled "Farm & Garden" and the "Kitchen Cupboard."
Provided by: Montana Historical Society; Helena, MT