More information about this newspaper title may be available on the source website.
Country: United States
City: Durant, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory [Okla.]
Issues of this title available in Elephind: 478
Items (articles and/or pages) from this title available in Elephind: 4,529
Earliest Date: 12 August 1904
Latest Date: 29 December 1922
The Durant Weekly News appeared circa 1901, in Durant, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. It was an eight-page Democratic paper, issued on Fridays and a consolidation of the Durant Times and the Durant Eagle.
The Durant Eagle began publication in 1893, managed by Andrew Carter and William Durant, a Choctaw Indian for whom the town was named and later chief of the Choctaw Nation (1937-48). The Eagle was a four-page weekly, issued on Fridays by the Durant Publishing Company. By 1900, Homer Glenn was editor and publisher.
Kleinhoffer and Douglas Colyar established the Durant Times in 1896. Henry Price is listed as editor and publisher in 1898, and by 1900 Lewis Paullin had taken control of the Times. Shortly after, Paullin partnered with Homer Glenn and consolidated the Times with the Eagle. They changed the name to the Durant Weekly News and also began publishing of the Durant Daily News. The Daily News changed owners and names in 1910, becoming the Durant Daily Democrat, which is still published.
Lewis Paullin was editor and publisher of the Weekly News until 1909, when E. M. Evans assumed control. Very few changes were made until November 3, 1944, at which time Robert Story and his son, Bennett Story took over the publication. The paper ran as the Durant Weekly News and Bryan County Democrat for a few short weeks. On January 12, 1945, the title was shortened back to the Durant Weekly News, only to be lengthened once again to the Durant Weekly News and Bryan County Democrat on July 29, 1949. The paper ran with this lengthy moniker for more than years. Publication ceased sometime in the 1980s.
Provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society